Waking up to this last December was horrific…
“A teenage boy has drowned at Glenelg beach in Adelaide, the second drowning death at the same beach in just over a week. Surf Life Saving SA said the 15-year-old from Goodwood was pulled from the water after he got into trouble under the jetty late this afternoon.”
Another young life lost, right before Christmas.
Unfortunately, if you don’t learn basic water skills as a child, it’s even harder to learn as an adult. And a few basic swimming skills can be the difference between life and death.
But for some reason a lot of parents put off swimming lessons and say, “We’ll do it next year” or “it’s too cold to swim and I don’t want to get in the water with them, I haven’t had my bikini wax this month”, etc etc. I know, because I’m guilty of this, when my littlest guy was teeny tiny, I didn’t start lessons until he was 18months. Because we “didn’t have time”.
So, put aside your overgrown bikini line and lap this up — 5 reasons to get your kids into VACSWIM this Summer — no excuses!
1. VACSWIM is a Government funded initiative that supports and promotes water awareness, safety, confidence, skills and fun for kids between 5 and 13 years of age. Yep, it’s super fun, the kids will LOVE t!
2. There are 131 pool and beach locations all over South Australia, so there is always one near you!
3. If you don’t like pools – no problem! The program is conducted by qualified instructors in controlled environments located at pools AND beaches and lakes throughout SA!
4. You can sleep at night knowing if your child is ever faced with water trouble, they can save themselves.
5. It’s in the School Holidays (December and January), so it gives you something to do! And they’ll be exhausted afterwards so you’ll get some YOU time while they fall asleep on the couch. Then you might have time for the old bikini wax!
Can your child swim with confidence? If not, from one mumma bear to another, please, please give your children the gift of water safety this year! You can book VACSWIM HERE.