One of the greatest train journeys in the world, starts right here in Adelaide.
Mind the gap, welcome to an unforgettable Australian adventure, The Ghan! We were lucky enough to tick off this bucket list item and loved every second — especially with a party vibe in the air, since this celebrates 90 years of The Ghan.
Here’s what to expect when you travel coast to coast, 3000km from Adelaide across the red centre, to Darwin.
1. On The Ghan you can pick your travel style. They have two class options, Gold and Platinum. Both are divine. It just depends HOW divine you want to go. You can see both forms of accommodation here.
2. You begin your 3 day, 2 night journey at the Adelaide Parklands Terminal in Richmond with a complimentary champas and OJ in the lounge terminal.
3. Leave your wallets at home because while on board all meals, fine wines and bevvies are included. Also leave your belts at home because you will eat… a lot!
4. The food is exceptional. You’ll dine for brekky, lunch and dinner in the Queen Adelaide Restaurant with 3 courses of regionally-inspired food, paired with a great selection of local wines. The food surprised us the most. Who would have thought that you could have a fine dining experience with 5 star food on a train! Shout-out to the chefs — they’re absolute stars!
5. Excursion time! Of course you get to explore the incredible outback while on your journey. You’ll spend your first morning in Marla, feasting on warm Vegemite and cheese scrolls and egg and bacon rolls while watching the sun rise over the red dirt backdrop. It is here, deep inland, that you’ll enjoy a one-of-a-kind experience, as you watch the desert come to life at first light. This is definitely worth setting your alarm for. You’ll also get to cruise the Nitmiluk Gorge, learn more about Katherine’s ancient Indigenous rock paintings, or discover authentic outback life on a cattle station. They have plenty of excursion options so you can pick which one you prefer.
6. Switch off and get off the grid. This was one of the most satisfying things about travelling on The Ghan. With no phone coverage and no wifi for most of the trip, you can fully detach yourself from work and the all-consuming social media.
7. Relax to the max! You have no other option than to chill out. You can read, play board games, have a cheeky drink at the bar, have beautiful conversations with travellers from all over the world — or do what we did and have an afternoon nap, EVERY DAY!
8. Rock yourself to sleep. Your cabin manager will offer you earplugs and I suggest to take them. The train will gently rock you to sleep, like a baby. Even though the beds are narrow, they are ridiculously cosy, comfy and snuggly. I slept like a newborn both nights.
9. Be looked after by the amazing staff, cabin managers and waiters. You are so well catered for and nothing is ever too much trouble. They are there to make your adventure next-level wonderful.
10. The Ghan experience is magical. You can’t get a more unique way to explore Australia’s length, visiting locations no other holiday can match. You’ll experience the instagrammable landscapes, sights, flavours, wildlife and climates that define our amazing country!
Don’t wait until you’re too old to travel, jump on board The Ghan and I guarantee, you’ll have one hell of a time and create a lifetime of beautiful memories.
PS :: as if The Ghan wasn’t AWESOME enough already, Journey Beyond Rail Expeditions has teamed up with the team at Flight Centre to create a super speccy deal… you can jump on The Ghan – Red Centre & Top End Explorer, Gold Leaf, for four whole nights from $2339 per person!
- 2 nights on board The Ghan, Gold Service, Twin Cabin from Adelaide to Darwin
- Off Train Excursions and Outback Experiences on The Ghan
- Charles Darwin Sunset Buffet Cruise
- All meals plus standard wines, beers, spirits & soft drinks on board the train.
- 2 nights accommodation at the 5-star Mindil Beach Casino and Resort in a Deluxe Hotel Room.
To book, call 131 600 or visit your local Flight Centre store!
* Offer valid until 9th June 2019. Airfare not included.
For further info…
:: SPONSORED ::