As seen in Adelady magazine, issue 4
Recipe :: Laura Bakhtiarian
Time :: 2 hours
Serves :: 8
Butter is the star of the show when it comes to this apple tart.
Photo :: Naomi Giatas
230g plain flour
130g Devondale Unsalted Butter, chilled and chopped
85g icing sugar
2 egg yolks
1–2 tbsp iced water
3 green apples, thinly sliced
200g caster sugar
1 tbsp vanilla paste
200g unsalted butter
65g plain flour
Zest of 1 lemon
• To make the pastry, add the flour, butter and icing sugar into a food processor and process until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. While the motor is running, add the egg yolks and process until combined. Add some iced water if needed to bring the dough together.
• On a lightly-floured surface, turn out the mixture and gently bring together to form a ball. Flatten into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
• Roll out the pastry between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper until 3mm thick.
• Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced and line a lightly greased loose-bottomed, fluted tart tin with the pastry. Trim overhanging pastry edges and prick the base with a fork. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
• Line the pastry case with non-stick baking paper and fill with baking weights or raw rice. Bake for 15 minutes, remove the paper and weights (or rice) and bake for a further 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
• To make the filling, add the eggs, sugar, and vanilla paste to a medium bowl and whisk, then set aside.
• Place butter in a saucepan over medium heat and stir occasionally until completely melted and foaming. Once the butter browns, set aside and cool for 10–15 minutes.
• Whisk browned butter into the egg mixture, then whisk in the flour and lemon zest to make a custard.
• Arrange sliced apples in a spiral pattern on the pie crust, then pour custard over apples.
• Place in the oven and bake for 50 minutes. Remove and allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.
Photo :: Naomi Giatas
We used: Devondale Unsalted Butter Devondale
Butter enhances the flavour of every dish! Made from high quality fresh Australian milk from happy, healthy and well-cared for cows this staple is perfect in your sweet or savoury cooking. Head to devondale.com.au for more recipes.