Recipe by Adelaide Central Market
Perfect for the impending long weekend, as a lunchbox treat or even for an easy dinner with a fresh salad — these homemade sausage rolls are all shades of delicious! Head to the Adelaide Central Market for everything you need to whip these babies up.
Preparation time :: 30 minutes + chilling time
Cooking time :: 25 minutes
Makes :: 16
375g pack Caréme spelt puff pastry
1 egg, beaten for glaze
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 small red onion, peeled and quartered
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 long red chilli, deseeded and chopped
¼ cup fresh mint leaves
1 teaspoon dried mint leaves
2 teaspoons Ras el Hanout
500g lamb mince
1 egg, lightly whisked
1/3 cup (25g) fresh breadcrumbs
1/3 cup (55g) dried apricots, chopped
Salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
Yoghurt & harissa sauce
½ cup (125ml) Greek style yoghurt
1 tablespoon harissa
1 teaspoon mint leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced) and lightly grease baking trays and line with baking paper.
- For the sausage filling, place onion, garlic, chilli, mint and Ras el Hanout into a food processor, pulsing until finely chopped. Add the lamb, egg, breadcrumbs, apricots, salt and pepper, pulsing until just combined.
- Place pastry sheet on a lightly floured work surface, cut in half length ways, to create two equal sized rectangles.
- Evenly divide the sausage filling in half, shape like a sausage, placing down the centre of each pastry rectangle, making sure pastry is able to encase the mixture.
- Firmly bring one long side of the pastry up against the sausage meat and lightly brush the pastry with egg.
- Repeat with other side by firmly bringing the remaining pastry up and over the glazed pastry, creating a seal. This will be tight and there should be a 1cm overlap.
- Place sausage rolls on a prepared baking tray (seam side down) and brush outside with egg glaze and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine yoghurt and harissa together in a small bowl, stirring until well combined. Sprinkle over mint and set aside for later.
- Cut each large sausage into eight equal portions and snip each top three times, to create air holes. Evenly spread sausage rolls onto prepared baking trays.
- Place sausage rolls in preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until pastry is cooked through and golden. Allow sausage rolls to cool slightly before serving.
- Serve sausage rolls with yoghurt and harissa sauce.