This secret ingredient will take your cake game to a whole new level.
Time 1 hour + cooling time
Recipe Laura Bakhtiarian
Photos Naomi Giatas
250mL Coca-Cola Zero
125g unsalted butter
200g dark brown sugar
120g caster sugar
85g cocoa powder
4 large eggs
330g self-raising flour
1 tsp bi-carb soda
100g cherry jam
680g morello cherries
2 tbsp Coca-Cola Zero Sugar
30g cocoa powder
Chocolate flakes (optional)
Maraschino cherries (optional)
• Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced.
• Line and grease 2 x 20cm cake tins.
• In a jug, combine the Coca-Cola Zero Sugar and dark brown sugar, and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
• Using an electric mixer, beat butter and caster sugar for 3–5 minutes until pale and fluffy. Sift in the cocoa powder and beat until combined.
• In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and milk until smooth, then slowly pour into the cocoa mixture, beating constantly.
• Sift flour and bi-carb soda into the mixture and beat until combined.
• Add the Coca-Cola mixture and beat until it’s a smooth batter.
• Pour batter equally into the 2 prepared cake tins and bake for 25–35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
• Leave sponges to cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack and set aside to cool completely.
• To make the frosting, use an electric mixer to beat the butter in a mixing bowl until pale. Add Coca-Cola Zero Sugar and cocoa powder before gradually adding icing sugar, beating constantly.
• Once the sponges are completely cool, spread 2–3 tbsp of cherry jam across the top of one of the cakes.
• Pipe a thin layer of frosting over the cherry jam, then top with Morello cherries to create an even layer.
• Place the second sponge on top to create a sandwich, then cover the entire cake with the remaining frosting.
• To garnish, dust cake with chocolate flakes and top with maraschino cherries (optional).
We used: Coca-Cola Zero Sugar
Coca-Cola Zero Sugar has come to the party with this delicious recipe. You can enjoy Coca-Cola Zero Sugar as a refreshing drink OR as a fun ingredient in your cooking and baking. Coca-Cola Zero Sugar comes in a range of sizes from 250mL mini cans to 2-litre bottles, so you’re covered for every occasion.