School holidays rock, mainly because there’s a slight reprieve from packing lunchboxes — woohoo! But, the crew’s still got to eat and nothing says ‘thrown together’ quite like chucken and chups from your local.
Adelaide’s busting with hot new spots, as well as many long standing trusted old favourites when it comes to a rotisserie and spuds. Whether you’re after the traditional half a bird, fries and gravy packs, a schnitty with pineapple fritter, or you’re pecking around for a more polished takeaway, we’ve got you covered.
So, grab your favourite tipple, pop out a few plates and let these guys take care of dinner for your whole tribe these school holidays…
Image credit :: @_joybird
1. Joybird | 164 King William Road, Hyde Park
This hot new spot on King William Road takes the simplicity of chicken and chips and turns it on its head! With Portuguese-style roasted chickens, flavoursome seasoning and dressings, as well as healthy roasted veggies and salads, Joybird is next-level takeaway with the old fashioned convenience.
2. Chicken Shack | 230 Anzac Highway, Plympton
Shack packs, family packs… even solo packs. These guys cater for the masses and the solo diners, so everyone’s taken care of without lifting a talon.
3. Funky’s on Duthy | 23 Duthy Street, Unley
Top-notch chickens, burgers, schnitzel packs, gourmet salads… and… garlic butter, saganaki-dusted corn… ummm, need we say more??
4. Cheeky Chook Eats | 438 Henley Beach Road, Lockleys
The newly-hatched bebe of renowned chef, Adam Swanson, Cheeky Chook Eats serves up restaurant quality charcoal grilled birds, twice-cooked chips, and has salads and fresh juices to boot.
Image credit :: @cheekychookeats
5. Golden Chicken and Seafood | 549 Portrush Road, Glenunga
Delllllicious rotisserie chooks, a huge range of salads, and for the adventurous, try the spicy chicken wings. OMG, that’s what we call finger-lickin’ chicken!
6. Botanic Chickens | 365 Shepards Hill Road, Blackwood
This good old fashioned grab n go is super reliable and always stops the kids from squawking. It’s not uncommon to see flocks of locals lining up to grab an easy feed any night of the week.
7. Chick N Chips | 39 Broadway, Glenelg
The mama chicks, little chicks and even the roosters are all perfectly catered for at this beachside take away joint that sets the scene for easy nights with sandy feet and happy tums with 100% gluten free birds. And don’t get us started on the haloumi chips!
Image credit :: @chicknchipsglenelg
8. Erindale Chicken and Seafood | 365 Kensington Road, Kensington Gardens
Once upon a time, this was the cool spot for Millie to hang out after school… you can still find her loitering regularly as it remains one of the best spots to fill a rumbly tumbly.
9. Goody’s Chicken and Seafood | 5/715 South Road, Black Forest
Restaurant quality at takeaway prices… shut up and take my money!
10. Ban Ban Bar and Chicken | 145 Franklin Street, Adelaide
Good enough to dine in, just as easy to take out. This laid-back bar and take away joint serves the tastiest Korean fried chicken you could clucking imagine with a range of special sauces, plus delectable street food and mains.
11. Chicken Villa | 705 Burbridge Road, West Beach
In the words of my good mate (and regular patron) Trav, “it’s not uncommon to see lineups out the door at this place… the people can’t be wrong”!
12. Gawler Chicken & Seafood | 4 Tulloch Road, Evanston
Right in the Gawler Green Shopping Centre, these guys have got your brood covered when they get the munchies at the end of the day.
13. Hutt Street Chicken & Seafood | 188 Hutt Street, Adelaide
These guys know good grub and make it even more convenient — you can order online and then just fly by and pick it up… voila!
14. St Peters BBQ Chicken | 66 Sixth Ave, St Peters
Main game aside, this crew know how to nail the perfectly salted chip… mmmmm.
15. Stirling Chickens | 75 Mount Barker Road, Stirling
This local family biz has cracked the code for consistently on-point chickens, salads, burgers and more which explains why still has the old school separate entrance and exit to guide the masses of hills dwellers on their way.
16. Avenue’s Chicken & Seafood | Shop 11, 144 Payneham Road, Stepney
Hold the phone… these guys are so about convenience you can stay snuggled up in your nest and they’ll deliver right to your front door! Obvs if you live in their zone.
17. Mojo’s | 572 Anzac Highway, Glenelg East
Not only the best nuggets and gravy going, you can even nab yourself a tasty pizza, pasta or homemade baklava… random, but satisfying!
18. Marden Charcoal Chickens | 371A Payneham Road, Marden
This hidden gem have nailed easy family dinners and they even do catering… saddle up!
So, now you’ve got a banging list to get cracking on… we think you’d be straight up chicken not to give it a whirl!