Just 50 minutes up the Freeway in Viv the Volvo and you’ll find yourself in stunning wine country — Langhorne Creek. Look around and you could be anywhere in the world, but you’re not, you’re just around the corner. If you’ve never been, why the hell not? It’s awesome!
So, whack on your heated seats, tap in your destination and let Viv take you on one hell of a road trip!
Here are 10 reasons why you should visit Langhorne Creek…
1. It’s home to some of SA’s best wineries and cellar doors. Each with their own charm, experiences, food and, of course, wine!
2. It’s so close! Only 50 minutes up the Freeway, just out of Strathalbyn, so you can visit for lunch, afternoon tea, or stay for the whole weekend!
3. Bed and Breakfast! There are lots of cute old cottages to choose from, filled with homely vibes and most with open fires! We stayed at The Creek Cottage, and as you can see, it was all of the above.
4. Small World Bakery! Their locally made pastries and breads are next level delicious. They are now even delivering to cafes and businesses in the city!
5. Lake Breeze Wines is out of this world amazing! It’s the most picturesque setting for lunch or even just a glass of wine or coffee. Looking out from above and across the rolling vineyards, you feel like you’re in a fairy tale. And the food is too good! They have tapas options or big, warming meals to choose from. Look at that view!
6. The Winehouse. Many a wedding has taken place in the beautiful garden at the back of this cellar door and restaurant! Imagine saying “I do” under this wooden archway, surrounded by colourful vines. Inside it’s full of character with vintage furniture and mismatching chairs. They have the best burgers in town (according to my belly) and they also do great scones with jam, cream and a pot of tea!
7. Handpicked Festival. Come mid November, Lake Breeze Wines is the place to be. With an enormous stage and great musical lineup, it’s one of our fave outdoor music festivals! This year’s lineup will be announced very soon!
8. The best Horseradish around. Just ask the locals! Everywhere you go, people tell you to visit Newman’s Horseradish farm. You’ll see these jars in your local supermarkets and they are made right here in Langhorne Creek.
9. Bremerton Wines. This is the first winery in Australia to be owned and run by two sisters! Lucy and Rebecca took over their parents’ winery in the late 90s but pulled their dad out of retirement to help with the day to day running when both sisters had babies. Now, their parents have been sent back into retirement to relax and enjoy, while the girls are back running the business and loving every second. Great wine, great art, great women!
10. Skin care meets Cellar Door at Vineyard Road. Who would have thought? This cellar door sells wine and a great organic range of Vasse Virgin Skincare. The skincare range was developed by an Italian family whose three children had chronic eczema. The products are beautiful and especially great for people suffering from eczema, psoriasis or other skin conditions. So while you cleanse your skin, you can taste some great reds and whites!
For more ideas of where to go and what to do in the beautiful Langhorne Creek, visit southaustralia.com