Recipe :: Laura Bakhtiarian
As seen in Adelady magazine, issue 5.
A decadent dish to whip up when entertaining, or if you’re simply in need of a hearty home-cooked meal.
Photo :: Naomi Giatas
Time 30 mins
220g mushrooms, cut into thick slices
1 small brown onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
55g grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 x Lilydale Free Range Skinless Breast Fillets
½ tsp salt, plus more for seasoning
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
170ml chicken broth
400g baby spinach
20g grated parmesan cheese, for serving
• Place one chicken breast at a time in a large zip-lock bag. Pound with a rolling pin or the flat side of a meat mallet until it’s ½ inch thick all over. Set aside and repeat with the remaining breasts.
• Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season generously with salt and black pepper.
• Heat olive oil in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
• Working in batches, add the chicken to the pan and sear until deeply browned on the bottom, for 5–7 minutes. Flip and sear the other side until browned, for 5–7 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
• Reduce the heat to medium and melt butter in the skillet or pan. Add the mushrooms, onion, garlic, and season with salt and black pepper, then cook until tender, for 3–5 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and stir to coat evenly, then cook for 1 minute further.
• Add milk and chicken broth, and stir until no lumps from the flour remain, making sure to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce to simmer. Add the baby spinach and parmesan cheese, and stir until the spinach begins to wilt, approximately 30 seconds.
• Return the chicken to the pan and simmer gently until the sauce is thickened and the chicken is cooked through, for 4–5 minutes. Squeeze the lemon juice over the dish and serve immediately. Garnish with more parmesan.
Photo :: Naomi Giatas
We used: Lilydale Free Range Chicken Bulk Breast Fillets
Thriving on fresh, healthy food for families to enjoy in their own kitchens, Lilydale is determined to offer Australian’s the highest quality free range chicken available. Straight from their farms to your kitchen, you’ll taste the difference when you grab one from your local Romeo’s. For more fresh recipes, head to lilydalefreerange.com.au/recipes.