As seen on Season 6 of Adelady TV, Channel Nine
2 tbsp olive oil
100 grams salted butter
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup shredded carrot
1 cup chopped celery
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 pinch saffron
1 tbsp turmeric
1 cup chopped parsley
1L liquid vegetable stock (or stock powder and water)
3 tins La Nova Chili Tuna
1 tin La Nova Tuna (in oil)
1 tins La Nova Corn
1 kg Curtiriso arborio rice
160g (2 cups) shredded parmesan
200g mature cheese, shredded
360g (4 cups) dried packaged breadcrumbs
Mozzarella cheese block (500g), cut into 1cm pieces
Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- Heat the olive oil and in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Add tuna and corn and stir until hot (breaking apart the tuna), and then add the tumeric, saffron, vegetable stock and one litre of hot water.
- Add the rice to the pan and cook, stirring constantly and allowing the liquid to be absorbed before adding the parsley, half of the parmesan and the shredded mature cheese. Keep stirring until the rice is tender yet firm to the bite and the risotto is creamy. Spread out on a large plate and then set aside for 2-3 hours to cool completely.
- Place the breadcrumbs on a large plate. Add cup of parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Crack eggs into a separate bowl and use a fork to lightly whisk.
- Use wet hands to shape 2 tablespoons of the risotto mixture into a ball. Press your thumbs into the centre of the ball to make an indent. Place a piece of mozzarella in the indent, then mould the risotto mixture around the mozzarella to enclose. Repeat with the remaining risotto mixture and mozzarella to make the remaining balls.
- Dip balls in the egg, then in the breadcrumbs, pressing to coat. Place on a large plate. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Add enough oil in a large saucepan to reach a depth of 5cm. Heat to 160°C over medium-high heat, then add the risotto balls to the oil and cook, turning occasionally, for 7-8 minutes making sure arancini are golden. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Place the risotto balls on a serving plate and serve hot, with love!