Hot, oozy, gooey mozzarella — life doesn’t get much better than this!
Time 20 minutes + 15 minutes to set
Makes 12–14 sticks
Recipe Laura Bakhtiarian
Photos Naomi Giatas
500g Cheer Mozzarella Block
80g plain flour 2 eggs, lightly whisked
130g panko breadcrumbs
Olive oil, to shallow fry
Tomato pasta sauce, warmed to serve
• Cut the cheese block into thick slices, then into sticks (approximately 1.5cm x 1.5cm). Set aside on a plate.
• Add the flour to a bowl, eggs to another bowl, and panko breadcrumbs to a third bowl.
• Toss the mozzarella in the flour, dusting off the excess. Dip each stick into the egg, then roll in breadcrumbs, pressing firmly to coat. Transfer to a tray lined with baking paper. Chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
• Pour 1cm of olive oil into a large frying pan. Heat oil over a medium to high heat. While it’s heating, line a second baking tray with paper towel.
• Working in batches, shallow-fry the mozzarella sticks, turning until golden on all sides. Place each stick on paper towel to remove excess oil.
• Serve the sticks warm, with heated pasta sauce or a pesto dip, salt, pepper and lemon wedges. They’re also great chopped and tossed through a salad the next day!
We used: CHEER Mozzarella Block
CHEER believes in bringing people together to enjoy the simple pleasures in life — like cheese! Their range of sliced, shredded or blocks can be enjoyed all day, every day, whether it’s in a morning toasty, cheese platter, tasty salad, or favourite family meal. For more cheesy goodness, check out more recipes at cheer-cheese.com.au/en/recipes