By Mia De Cesare
:: Serves 6-8 ::
:: All ingredients can be found at your local Romeo’s ::
220g plain flour
60g icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
500g rhubarb (approx. 1 bunch), coarsely chopped
250g caster sugar
Thinly peeled rind and juice of 1 orange and ½ lemon
2 thin slices of fresh ginger
100g frozen raspberries, defrosted
Egg wash (1 egg lightly beaten)
2 tbsp raw sugar, for sprinkling
Icing sugar, for dusting
- To make the pastry, pulse together the flour, butter, egg mixture, and 1 tsp vanilla bean paste in a food processor until the mixture comes together and resembles a dough.
- Remove dough from food processor and shape into a ball. Cover in cling wrap and place in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the rhubarb and raspberry jam. Place rhubarb, caster sugar, rinds, juices, ginger and remaining vanilla bean paste in a medium sized saucepan over high heat until sugar has dissolved (stirring regularly).
- Reduce the heat to medium and leave the jam to simmer with the lid off for about 15 minutes until thick and jammy. Remove rind and ginger slices, add raspberries and set aside to cool completely.
- Preheat your oven to 170°C. Grease a 23cm fluted tart tin.
- Roll out two thirds of the chilled pastry on a sheet of baking paper to roughly 2mm thickness and carefully lift and place over tart tin. Trim any excess with a knife. Keep remaining dough for lattice. Prick the base a few times with a fork, and line baking paper sheet over the pastry. Fill with baking beans or uncooked rice.
- Bake the tart shell for 10 minutes, then remove baking paper and rice and return to oven for a further 10 minutes, until very lightly golden.
- Remove tart shell from oven and spoon in cooled rhubarb jam mixture. Roll out remaining pastry dough and cut into 1.5cm wide strips. Arrange strips in a lattice pattern over jam, press pastry edges to seal and trim excess. Brush pastry with egg wash, sprinkle with raw sugar and bake until lattice pastry is crisp and golden (approx. 20-30 minutes).
- Cool in tin before serving. Dust with icing sugar and serve with cream, ice cream or mascarpone.