Let’s talk about Burnside for a second. Wait no, it’s pronounced BUUURNSIIIDE.
You see, I can say that, because I play in this hoity-toity suburb frequently. And, I’m not ashamed to say that I love it.
I love the leafy streets; I love the Village; I love the enormous bungalows with gigantic gardens. I also love the parks and playgrounds; I love the hilly streets at the top of Greenhill road; I love it all! Despite its snobby reputation, it’s common-place to me, it’s my home-ground.
So let’s have some fun! Buuuurnsiiide, I HEART YOU for all these reasons:
1. All your best friends live in Unley, Hyde Park, Norwood or Parksiiide.
2. You park your four-wheel drive on the street, because there’s no room between the Porsche and your teenage son’s Range Rover in the drIveway.
3. Your fave colours are white, beige and camel.
4. When you see 60-inch flat-screen TVs on the nature strip, you know it’s hard rubbish day.
5. You don’t know where Reynella is exactly.
6. Your kids go to Saints and/or Seymour.
7. You use the word “divine” when you’re describing your new shambre shirt. And it’s pronounced “diviiiiiiiiiine”.
8. Everything you need is at the Village. And if you need to cross Magill Road, you feel like you’re on the wrong side of the tracks.
9. You’d consider moving to Stirling… but only IF you can buy a property with plenty of laaaaand. Diviiine!
10. You wear kaftans.
11. Your kids wear kaftans.
12. You’re stingy-as and mad for a sale.
13. When you go to Victor, you call it “The Hamptons”.
14. You have a beach house in Port Elliot, where you wear your “holiday” kaftans.
15. You’ve said “I’ll meet you at the Feathers” at least 5000 times.
16. Public transport. Sorry, what’s that?
17. As a kid, you didn’t know anyone who went to a public high school.
18. You dress up in your best active wear, just to get petrol.
19. You’d rather live in “a cell” in Burnside, than a mansion out North.
20. You spend most Wednesday afternoons at Thermomix parties.
21. You only venture outside of Burnside to go to Country Road (pronounced Country Rooooooooad) on the Parade. Followed up by a light lunch at Argo (pronounced Argoooo).
22. You name your child after your fave active wear brand — LuLu or Lorna.
There you go. These are all MASSIVE generalisations that are not necessarily true, but made us smile. And that’s all that matters.
PS. If you grew up in Adelaide, you might relate to my 40 Signs You Know You’re From Adelaide.