Sometimes you don’t even need to venture out of your ‘hood to experience a great event. Sometimes it’s as simple as heading to your local library. I feel bad admitting this (considering I have a tribe of two small children), but I had no idea about all fantastic events and things to do at my local library.
And so you feel less ignorant too, let me fill your mind with a list of everything that’s going on at your local library — because libraries are no longer just about books.
1. To help my fellow tired-monster mums and dads, many libraries now have cafés (with coffee) and meeting rooms with free internet and computer access. So, while your kids are neck-deep in a great book, you’re necking a great cup of coffee.
2. Most libraries host JP services and have a toy library (Burnside Library has one of the greatest toy libraries IN THE WORLD — according to Alfie, my 2 year old).
3. There are a bunch of groups and programs that help bring people from all walks of life together. So, if you’ve just moved to the area, it’s a great way to meet people. My parents take my 2 year old to Baby Chat every Monday, and he LOVES it! They also have summer reading clubs for the super keen book worms, they hold English as a second language programs, there are digital literacy courses and book discussion groups.
4. The One Card Project. Our local libraries have connected the systems of more than 140 libraries across SA. So, rather than having to sign up at each individual facility, you have ONE card and can use that card to access all of those libraries. Boom.
5. They have access to millions of books, ebooks, CDs and DVDs. Millions. That’s not an exaggeration! And if you’re desperate to borrow a certain book, most libraries have an online reservation system so with a couple of clicks, you can reserve it.
There you go! Libraries are so much more than books these days!