There’s no such thing as too much garlic in this indulgent chicken dish.
Time 50 minutes
Recipe Laura Bakhtiarian
Photos Naomi Giatas
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp thyme
2 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
Pinch of dried chilli flakes
Salt and pepper, to season
400g chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 whole head of garlic, top cut open to expose cloves
100ml dry white wine (optional)
100ml chicken broth
200ml cooking cream
1 tsp Dijon mustard
40g parmesan, grated
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp dried sage
Salt and pepper, to taste
• Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced.
• Combine all seasoning ingredients together, then sprinkle over the drumsticks and rub until evenly coated.
• Heat olive oil in a large ovenproof pan over medium heat. Add drumsticks and sear on all sides until golden. Remove from pan and set aside.
• Add butter, pepper and minced garlic to the pan over a low heat, stirring until butter melts and starts foaming.
• Add white wine (optional) and cook until liquid has reduced slightly (about 3–4 minutes).
• Add chicken stock and Dijon mustard, and bring to the boil.
• Add cream, chickpeas, parmesan and salt, then bring to a low simmer.
• Return drumsticks to the pan and sprinkle thyme and sage over the top.
• Add whole garlic head in between the drumsticks.
• Place the pan into the oven and roast for 35 minutes or until completely cooked through.
• Best enjoyed with steamed greens, and crusty bread or mashed potatoes.
For nearly 20 years, Lilydale farmers have been perfecting free range farming, based on one simple belief: chicken that’s raised better, tastes better. It’s their commitment to quality and the welfare of their chickens that sets them apart, and from their farm to your plate, the finest ingredients transform into memorable dishes. Find more recipe inspiration at cookingwithlily.com.au