Recipe by Laura Bakhtiarian
Images by Naomi Giatas
The perfect accompaniment to a cuppa
Time 55 minutes
Makes 12 — 14
225g plain flour
250g Western Star Chef’s Choice Unsalted Butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla paste
80g icing sugar mixture
120g Western Star Chef’s Choice Unsalted Butter, softened
165g icing sugar mixture or pure icing sugar
3 tsp lemon rind, finely grated
2 tsp lemon juice
• Preheat oven to 160°C fan-forced. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
• Sift the plain flour and cornflour into a bowl, then set aside.
In a large bowl, add the butter, vanilla paste and icing sugar mixture.
• Beat with a stand mixer or hand-held beaters until smooth and creamy.
• Slowly add the sifted flours, mixing between each addition until combined.
• Roll mixture into level teaspoon-sized balls and place 5cm apart on the prepared baking trays. Press the tops of the balls lightly with a fork.
• Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from oven and leave to cool on the trays for 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
• To make the filling, beat the butter, icing sugar mixture, lemon rind and lemon juice until smooth and creamy.
• Pipe a teaspoon of filling onto the flat side of one biscuit, then use another biscuit to sandwich them together.
Western Star is more than butter — it’s an Australian tradition! For over 90 years, generations of Australians have used Western Star to create greatness in the kitchen. Their unsalted butter is the versatile all-rounder that gives you control of seasoning and is ideal in the world of sweet cooking. Find more recipes at westernstarbutter. com.au/en/recipes