As seen in Adelady magazine, issue 3.
This layered dessert has everything you could want, and banana makes it healthy, too… right?!
Time 30 mins + chilling time
Image credit :: Naomi Giatas
395g Nestlé Sweetened Condensed Milk
30g unsalted butter
1 tbsp dark golden syrup
3 large bananas, sliced
1 ½ cups (375ml) thickened cream, whipped
Milk chocolate flakes, to serve
1 ¼ cups (150g) plain flour
80g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
3 tbsp icing sugar
90g ground walnuts
2 egg yolks, at room temperature
2–3 tbsp iced water
- To make the base, add the flour, butter and icing sugar to a food processor, and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the ground walnuts and pulse twice to mix through. Continue mixing on low speed and add egg yolks and iced water, process until combined.
- Turn out mixture onto a lightly floured surface, and bring together to form a ball. Flatten into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Roll pastry out between two sheets of non-stick baking paper to line a 21cm (12 inch) tart pan. Trim the edges and prick the base with a fork. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Place non-stick baking paper over the pastry and fill with baking weights or raw rice. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the paper and weights (or rice) and bake for a further 10 minutes. Remove from oven and leave to cool completely.
- To make the filling, in a small pan, bring the condensed milk, butter and syrup to the boil (about 5 minutes) over low–medium heat, stirring continuously. It’s ready when it thickens and turns a light caramel colour. Leave to cool slightly, then pour caramel over the cooled pastry. Refrigerate for 30–45 minutes.
- When cool, cover the caramel with sliced banana, then whipped cream and finish with chocolate flakes.
We used: Nestlé Sweetened Condensed Milk
Who doesn’t have childhood memories of sticking your finger into a can of Nestlé Condensed Milk and licking it off while your mum wasn’t looking? We’re sure it’s not just us.
A staple in any sweet pantry, there’s no better way to enjoy it than in this gorgeously gooey dessert. Pick up your condensed milk at Romeo’s. For more recipes visit recipes.com.au