I don’t know about you, but I’ve always had permanent hair envy. For some reason EVERYONE else seems to have better hair than me. I have curly hair, but it’s the ‘fuzzy curly’ kind — not the gorgeous, soft, salon-quality waves, that we all want. It seems impossible to do yourself but apparently, it’s not!
The wonderful team at YOTS, North Adelaide, has shared its secret step-by-step tips for achieving salon-quality waves at home. This look is perfect for a night out and easy to perfect with some practice.
- Start with freshly washed hair. We recommend starting with a cleansing shampoo like Kevin Murphy Maxi.Wash to eliminate product build up, and following up with your normal shampoo and conditioner.
- Spritz a voluminising product through the roots of your hair while it’s damp — we love Kevin Murphy Anti.Gravity.Spray, a weightless non-aerosol spray which is infused with Manuka Honey and Grapefruit extracts. It’s paraben free and smells amazing!
- Apply a small amount of Kevin Murphy Full.Again through the ends and mid-lengths of your hair. Then blowdry your hair, tipping your head upside down for a volume boost.
- When your hair is completely dry, separate it into three sections — two at either side of the head, starting from behind your ear to your face, and one at the back.
- Now it’s time to curl! You’ll need a small curling wand, with a 1.5 centimeter circumference barrel tip. The Cortex 4-in-1 Pro Titanum Curling Iron is perfect for this look.
- Start with the back section and take up a section of hair about 4 centimeters wide. Wrap the section around the curling iron, holding it a safe distance away from your head. Hold the ringlet for approximately 10 seconds before removing the iron.
- Repeat through the rest of the back section, curling each 4cm piece in the same direction – the more uniform the curls the better!
- Move on to the side sections when you’re finished with the back. Again, work with uniform 4cm sections of hair, wrapping each section around the iron towards your face.
- When you’re finished curling, you’ll be left with lots of tiny ringlets. Spritz a light mist of weightless hairspray over the hair to set your curls. We love Kevin Murphy Session.Spray, which leaves no residue or flakiness.
- Now for the fun part! Take a soft bristle brush and brush the ringlets out of your hair. Don’t be afraid to brush through — all the curls will join together to form a beautiful wave.
- Finish the look by lightly working a hair oil or anti-frizz serum through your hair with your fingertips. This will create shine and keep pesky fly-aways under control.
- Give your hair a light brush if needed. To finish, hold your hairspray an arms distance away from your head and lightly mist it over your hair to lock in your style. Voilà, you’re done!
For more tutorials, hair advice and online offers connect with YOTS on social.Button Text Button Text Button Text
Meet the YOTS team
The senior stylists from Yots Hair North Adelaide are passionate about all things hair. Carla, Joe, Cody and Madeleine have worked on international, runway and editorial projects, and cumulatively bring to the table years of in-salon experience. The team pride themselves on delivering flawless hair and an incredible salon experience to each individual client.