By Laura Bakhtiarian :: G-Fresh Spices
Sugar and spice, and all things nice… this exotic tart is bound to impress your friends and fam at the next soiree.
:: Prep: 45 mins :: Cook: 30 mins
INGREDIENTS – BASE
225g plain flour
125g chilled unsalted butter (chopped)
80g icing sugar
2 egg yolks
1T iced water
2 egg yolks
100g caster sugar
20g G-Fresh Vanilla Sugar
15 G-Fresh Cardamom Pods (seeds removed and crushed)
600ml thickened cream
Zest of one orange
1. (Pastry) Add flour, butter and icing sugar in a food processor and process until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. While processing, also add the egg yolks until combined.
2. Add iced water and process until dough just comes together.
3. On a lightly-floured surface, turn out mixture and gently bring together to form a ball. Flatten into a disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Roll pastry out between 2 sheets of non-stick baking paper, until 3mm thick.
5. Preheat oven to 160°C. Line a lightly-greased, loose-bottomed, fluted tart tin with the pastry. Trim edges and prick base with a fork. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. Line pastry case with non-stick baking paper and fill with baking weights (or rice). Bake for 15 minutes, then remove paper and weights (or rice). Bake for a further 10 minutes, or until pastry is light golden. Remove from the oven and set aside.
7. Finely grate rind from the orange and set aside.
8. (Filling) Whisk together eggs, egg yolks, G-Fresh Vanilla Sugar, G-Fresh Cardamom and grated orange rind, in a jug.
9. Add cream and milk, then continue whisking until well combined.
10. Pour into the pastry case.
11. Bake tart for a further 50 minutes or until filling is just set.
12. Remove from oven and set aside for 20-25 minutes, or until cooled to room temperature.
13. Optional: decorate using candied citrus, meringue or dust with icing sugar.