This truly delicious porridge is perfect for a make-ahead breakfast treat; an interesting, healthy, indulgent and different spin on overnight oats, that takes mere minutes to prepare… and is a great way to use up leftover quinoa.
It is wonderful served cold, straight from the fridge or, if you prefer, both the compote and the porridge can be warmed through (with additional milk of choice added) for a comforting way to fuel up on a frosty day.
Protein-packed, plant-based, gluten-free and cane sugar-free, this is one yummy breakfast treat that is actually good for you.
Makes: 2 generous portions (or 4 small portions)
125 ml (75 g) cooked, cooled quinoa
60 ml chia seeds
60 ml desiccated coconut
60 ml ground/flaked almonds (depending upon desired consistency)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp maca powder (optional)
200 ml coconut milk
200 ml almond milk
1-2 tbsp rice malt/maple syrup (optional)
350 ml mixed organic frozen berries
A squeeze of lime or lemon juice
Extra almond/coconut milk for serving if desired
DIRECTIONS FOR COMPOTE
- Simply pop frozen berries into a small sauce pan over medium heat, squeeze over citrus juice of choice and allow berries to defrost, stirring gently occasionally. This should take around 5 minutes.
- Compote can be served warm or cooled and stored in an airtight container for a few days in the fridge.
DIRECTIONS FOR PORRIDGE
- Add all porridge ingredients to a medium-sized mixing bowl or a large jar and mix well. Pop on cling wrap/a lid and place in the fridge overnight.*
- Remove from fridge and spoon into bowls or mason jars, topping/layering with spoonfuls of the berry compote.
- Sprinkle with slivered almonds, serve immediately and enjoy!
*If short on time, you can make this 2-3 hours before serving, preparing as above. Stir and check to make sure chia seeds have gelled properly before serving.