By Laura Bakhtiarian :: G-Fresh Spices
This lamb dish is the perfect entertainer when served with a fresh cous cous salad and a refreshing yoghurt dressing.
:: Prep: 30 mins :: Cook: 4 hrs 30 mins
INGREDIENTS :: SPICED LAMB SHANKS
3T of olive oil
2 brown onions (thickly sliced)
2t G-Fresh Ground Cumin
2t G-Fresh Smokey Paprika
1t G-Fresh Ground Ginger
1t G-Fresh Ground Turmeric
2t G-Fresh Fennel Seeds
1t G-Fresh Ground Cinnamon
3 cloves of fresh garlic (crushed)
400g tin of crushed tomatoes
1 cup beef stock
G-Fresh Atlantic Sea Salt and G-Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1 cucumber (grated)
1 red onion (diced)
Bunch fresh parsley (chopped)
Pitted dates (diced)
Optional: G-Fresh Crushed Chillies to your taste
1. Spiced lamb shanks) Season shanks generously with G-Fresh Atlantic Sea Salt and G-Fresh Ground Black Pepper.
2. Heat oil in a large pan, then brown shanks on all sides before transferring to a large dish.
3. Add onions to the pan and cook for 8-10 minutes. Stir in all spices and garlic, adding a splash of beef stock (if the pan is too dry). Cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
4. Transfer into slow cooker. Add lamb shanks to the ingredients in slow cooker. Add canned tomatoes and beef stock, and season with salt again.
5. Cover and slow cook for 4-5 hours or until the meat falls from bone.
6. (Cous cous salad) Make cous cous as per packet cooking instructions.
7. Toss in fresh herbs, diced pitted dates, almonds and diced red onions.
8. (Cucumber yoghurt) Add one bulb of minced garlic to grated cucumber (not cucumber water) to a bowl of Greek yoghurt. Stir together until well combined. Season to taste with G-Fresh Atlantic Sea Salt.
9. (Serving instructions) Simply remove the shanks from the slow cooker and place onto a plate. Remove any excess fat. Use 2 forks to coarsely shred the lamb. Toss lamb through salad and serve with garlic and cucumber yoghurt.