Well, it’s that time of year again. You’re probably feeling a tad bloated from all the Xmas cheer over the last six weeks and you might be back at work thinking, “How do I have time to work it all off again?”
Time efficient workouts are so popular because most Adeladies are time poor. But can fat loss be achieved in such a short time? The answer appears to be YES!
Scientific studies show that calorie expenditure will be at an increased rate for 24 hours hours after a high intensity, time efficient workout. It’s been said that high intensity interval exercises induce 24 hour energy expenditure similar to traditional endurance exercise, despite the reduced time commitment.
While a smaller percentage of fat is metabolised during the high intensity workouts, it’s a smaller percentage of a higher calorie expenditure pie.
One way of approaching this type of workout is by thinking about how to expend as many calories as possible in the short time available.
So ladies, it IS possible — hooray! Here are two examples of short workouts for fat loss:
OPTION 1 :: AT HOME WORKOUT
Complete eight thirty second rounds of each exercise, putting in twenty seconds of work and resting for ten seconds.
1. Running with high knees on the spot
Whilst standing in front of your TV, run on the spot on the balls of your feet (heels of the ground), making sure your knees rise to become parallel with the ground. Make sure you swing your arms by your side to maintain the stability of your gait. Ensure that you land each foot with soft knees to prevent high impact forces through the legs.
2. Push Ups
Assume a face down position on the floor, on hands and knees or toes pending ability. Hands are positioned slightly wider than shoulder width (approx 1 ½ times) and in line with the mid-sternum; look down at the floor. Lower the body towards the floor as low as good form allows, maintaining a stable body and neutral spine with abs activated. Lift the body keeping the elbows soft on extension.
3. Static Lunge
Assume a standing posture. One foot steps forwards and back heel is lifted off the ground – weight is supported on the front foot and ball of the back foot (more weight is transferred to the front foot as the client gains skill and balance). Bend the hips and knees simultaneously to ‘lunge’ and lower the body – the front knee will be over the front foot and the back knee will bend towards the ground. Keep the feet in line with knees and hips; look forwards. Push through both feet and lift body to return to start. Complete as many repetitions as you can whilst maintaining perfect form whilst alternating each leg!
OPTION 2 :: GYM WORKOUT
|Warm Up||Shuttle runs||X 4||Superset (try doing 2 sets in a row without stopping)|
|Body weight squats||X 6|
|Dynamic Stretches||Squat and overhead arm swings||X 8|
|Workout||Assisted squat jumps||2 X 20||CrankIt straps|
|Dumbbell squats||2 X 8||Superset|
|Barbell squat press||2 X 6|
|Cable squat/row||3 X 6|
|Push-ups||3 X 7||Vary hand positions or incline/decline|
|Mountain climbers||2 X 16||Ensure core bracing|
Always conclude the workouts with a thorough partner assisted stretch, especially the quads, glutes, hamstrings, chest and lats.
All workouts are aimed to be time effective using supersets to minimise rest. As you learn the exercises, perhaps start with two sets. Once competent, increase sets to three or even four sets.
If you need extra motivation, try our Top 5 Partner Workouts!
:: SHUTTLE RUNS
1. Set up markers about 20 meters apart.
2. Make sure you’re warmed up before starting.
3. Sprint from one marker to the other and back. That counts as one rep.
4. Do 6 repetitions as fast as you can.
5. Time your result for the entire 6 repetitions.
6. Rest for 5 minutes.
7. Repeat the drill.
8. Add the times for each run together and divide by two to find the average time.
:: Overhead arm swing
1. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and knees slightly bent.
2. Flex your hips until knees are at 90˚ and raise arms over your head; keep weight on the heels of the feet and arms wide over your head.
3. Extend hips until you are standing and lower arms to starting position. Repeat.
:: Mountain Climber workout
1. Get yourself into a push up position so your hands are directly under your chest at shoulder width apart with straight arms. This will make a straight line from your shoulders to your ankles.
2. Raise your left foot off the ground and slowly raise your knee as close to your chest as you can.
3. Return to the starting position and repeat with your right leg.
4. Continue to alternate depending on how many reps you are doing.
:: Cable Squat Row
1. Make sure the cable pulley is at a low position and attach a short bar. Grab hold of the bar with an underhand grip, and step back, facing the pulley.
2. Position your feet so that they are shoulder width apart.
3. Stand upright and keep your arms straight. Lower yourself into a squat position until your thighs are making a right angle with your knees. Still keeping your arms straight.
4. As you rise up to a standing position, pull the bar up into your chest, like you are rowing. As you squat back down straighten out your arms and repeat.
:: Body Weight Squats
1. Start by standing upright and flexing your core. Your feet about shoulder width apart.
2. Try and keep your feet straight and parallel and make sure your knees track in the same direction as your feet when you squat.
3. Imagine that you’re sitting back in an imaginary chair.
4. Squat to the point where you can maintain a flat back and then press through your heels to return to a standing position.
:: Squat Jumps
1. Stand up straight with your knees slightly bent and feet shoulder width apart. You should try this while standing in front of a mirror as it will help you perfect the jump.
2. Squat down. Keep your hips back, back straight and your head facing forward.
3. Jump up and reach upward as high as you can with your hands.
4. Try landing in the same position you started in. Swing your arms back and immediately repeat the second step.
To make this exercise more challenging you can wear a weight vest or hold a pair of dumbbells while you perform the exercise.
If you’re trying to be extra-healthy, try our delicious and healthy Raw Caramel Slice Recipe!
Australian Institute of Fitness Adeladies, x